[T3] fan rubbing something

Soren Jacobsen snj at blef.org
Tue Feb 16 01:38:18 PST 2016

On 02/15 21:03, Jim Adney wrote:
> On 15 Feb 2016 at 19:17, Keith Park wrote:
>
> Most of our engines came with pumps with 21 mm gears [...]

And the early ones (prior to June 1967) had 21mm gears and 6mm stud
holes on the pump body.

Having said that, I'd now like to do a bit of begging: does anyone
happen to have an original early (6mm stud, 21mm gear) VW oil pump
they're willing to sell?  The "NOS" one I bought from Europe ended up
being quite clearly used and is way out of spec.  Lack of an original
style oil pump is currently stalling my lazy 1500S engine build.  Yes
yes, I know, an 8mm pump will work.  But so would a dual relief case,
flat top 85.5mm pistons, etc.  Principles!

> > Most aftermarket pumps have such poor quality control that they are
> > a problem anyway.
>
> This is, unfortunately, very, very true, and it's probably the cause
> of most of the problems with larger pumps.

I recall years ago reading a blurb from Gene Berg about how difficult it
was to find suitable OE VW oil pumps.  I think the lesson, at the end of
the day, is that you absolutely need to check the clearances on your oil
pump, no matter where it came from.

Soren