[T3] This T3 trans filter again !

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Fri Feb 19 07:47:06 PST 2016

On 18 Feb 2016 at 15:15, William J wrote:

> I had it in trans fluid and for some reason the suface rust stain was
> back . It may have been the water I rinsed it in.

Water is a real problem here, but with Naval Jelly, I don't see any
way around it. Once you rinse with water, I would rinse off the water
with alcohol, that will remove most of the water and then evaporate
rather quickly.

When you rinse something with water, even after it appears dry,
there's a layer of water molecules, maybe even 1000 molecules thick,
that remains stuck to the metal surface. Alcohol will remove much of
this, but not all. Oil won't remove hardly any of it.

Overall, however, it sounds like you're being overly fussy about a
lot of things. This has led you to worry about problems that aren't
really problems, and do work that's not necessary. You're asking
question, however, and that's very good. Keep it up and I think
you'll eventually get less worried about your car.

Things your car probably does need occasionally: Change the oil,
adjust the valves, set the dwell and timing (in that order) flush the
brake fluid, change the final drive oil (GL-5) check the brake pads.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org