[T3] Temp sensor and MPS problems on new motor

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Sun Feb 21 14:48:09 PST 2016

This kinda goes along with my findings on my own car and the gas situation
here in NY,  Jim makes a good point that you really need to make sure
everything is working and set properly before trying to tune the FI but it
looks like you have done that and covered your bases.

Please define "bad gas mileage" though, and what conditions your seeing it
at, highway and what speed?  I think Jim remembers the good ol days of
leaded gas and 28mpg on the highway and I remember them too, but with
ethanol and the additives today they are LONG gone! at least here in NY. The
early cars do run leaner, but they ran TOO lean and thats why VW richened
them up so folks
wouldnt burn valves and pistons as often, for me in stock form, 25-26MPG on
the highway at 70 is about what to expect, higher if your going slower lower
if your pushing a head wind, you want to err a little on the rich side
rather than the lean side.

unplugging the air temp sensor drove you richer about 10%, but adjusting
the MPS is the right way to do that and retain the warmup curve you want.
IF your running smooth and the AFR numbers are 13-14 on the highway thats
what you want, your done.  If something is wrong at this point mixture wise
you'll see it in gas mileage anyway, at least on the highway..  In the
winter in NY you may only get 17-18MPG in town.  AFR at idle is relatively
meaningless.

Ill say it again, IN NYS you WILL NOT RUN Properly on today's gas without
richening it up!  The ethanol is only part of the problem.  IF anyone on the
list is running untouched FI or stock jetted carbs on NYS gas and has no
issues please chime in, non of my open-loop cars do!

ya should have driven the crate when it first saw the road again with stock
jetting, horrible lean-miss on acceleration and 35MPG was WAY too much!  I
think I went up 2 jet sizes on that and increased the accelerator pump
stroke too..

Keith

Topnotch Restorations
topnotch at nycap.rr.com