[T3] Temp sensor and MPS problems on new motor

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Sun Feb 28 20:12:13 PST 2016

Dont worry about errant AFR readings, your sensor is in the wrong place
anyway so it will give odd readings once in a while.  WHAT IS the gas
mileage?  how often you fill up tells us nothing, you want 17-18MPG in
town this time of year with NYS winter blend gas,  tell us what numbers you
actually get, it sounds like everything is working rather well (except
starter).

What matters in the end is how well it runs, what gas mileage your getting
and what power you have (BTW, please dont bring it to 40 in 2nd, thats
red-lining it) and isnt telling you how much power your getting anyway as
your not measuring how fast it get there, I can red-line it in 4th with 3
cylinders.....
Remember that big hill out of Lake George?  You should be able to hold 70 on
that with 2 people in the car in 4th.

Keith

Today we disconnected wire 18, the pressure switch, and the TVS. The idle
was a bit strange. It seemed to wander around a lot and the AFR #'s did the
same thing. However, everything else was fine. In fact, the motor wasn't
underpowered at all. We hit 40 in 2nd gear with no problems! The AFR's here
were actually BETTER with everything unplugged than with it all plugged in.
There was never a number higher than 15 for more than a split second. So
what on earth does that tell us??? This is getting kind of maddening!!

With all of our pressure sensors, we've noticed that the AFR leans out under
hard acceleration until the pressure switch kicks in. Then there's uphill
acceleration. We could be cruising at 13 but if we have to push it up a hill
in 3rd, the AFR will spike into the 16's. We've observed that on 2 different
motors with 4 different pressure sensors and 2 different pressure switches!
We'd gotten to the point where we just thought it was a system design glitch
which may have been corrected in the C, D, and E systems. Now, we don't know
what to think. We didn't push it uphill with things unplugged today but it
seemed "healthy" when accelerating on flat ground!