[T3] 70 Fastback update

dlstiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Mon Feb 29 11:58:09 PST 2016

It's been a while since my last post. I have had all kind of email
account and computer issues that have kept me from posting lately. We
almost have the car ready to auction but we have been trying to get the
horn working along with an intermittent turn signal issue. We determined
it was a bad TS switch. I went to my closest VW FLAPS my parts guy
looked at the switch and said they haven't made that type of switch in
20 years so out of desperation I took a 72 steering column I had left
over in my parts stash from Clementine's restoration, bought the new
switches for the 72 column, then made an adapting harness so the 72
switches can hook up to the 70 wiring harness. Since I was unable to get
on the list during this I was unable to see if anyone had a switch like
this. One other problem I need to find the long screws that hold the
turn signal and wiper switch as the ones from this column was missing
and the ones from the 70 column are to short. Now I know I will get some
hate for putting the as some call it an ugly steering wheel in it but
since I grew up with a 72 I always thought they looked cool. But this is
coming from a guy who never understand all the hate for post 68 beetles,
post 70 T-3s, or bay window buses. I like them all late or early. Anyway
who ever the bid on this car I will give the 70 steering wheel and
column with it so if they can get the switch it would be easy to swap
back. If anyone knows where I can get those screws let me know.

Dennis Stiefel
72 Fastback (Clementine)
70 Fastback (school Project)