[T3] fan rubbing something

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Mon Feb 15 19:03:15 PST 2016

On 15 Feb 2016 at 19:17, Keith Park wrote:

> Most builders have told me high volume oil pumps are a major mistake.
> you dont NEED anything more than the stock volume and a high volume pump
> is higher in volume but lower in pressure, so you run out of pressure
> when the engine gets older.

The pressure is regulated by the pressure relief valves in the case,
which bleed off excess volume to get the pressure down to what the
engine was designed for. A higher volume pump gives you more to work
with, but too much can overwhelm the relief valve system. On a badly
worn engine, that excess can come in handy, allowing the system to
maintain pressure even in the face of increased internal clearances.

Most of our engines came with pumps with 21 mm gears, but starting in
'72, VW introduced 26 mm pumps. Those late engines have had really
good reliability. Given that fact, I don't see any problem with the
aftermarket 25 mm pumps, IF the quality is good, which is not a safe
assumption. I would steer clear of anything larger than 26 mm, simply
because there's a downside and no upside.

This becomes just another example of more not being necessarily
better.

One other argument against larger pumps is the fact that the power
required to drive the pump is flow x pressure. Since a larger pump
increases both of those numbers, you deplete your hp output to the
tranny by the extra amount used to drive the larger pump. It's not a
free lunch.

I take issure with the high volume/low pressue argument. Nothing
supports that.

> Most aftermarket pumps have such poor quality control
> that they are a problem anyway.

This is, unfortunately, very, very true, and it's probably the cause
of most of the problems with larger pumps.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org