[T3] Question about D jet idle issues 73 T3

William J catnine09 at dslextreme.com
Tue Jan 26 16:05:33 PST 2016

It has the proper intake gaskets that are bakelite and the fuel pressure is
30 PSI. I rebuilt this engine myself in 97 . I did change to a pertronix ign
back in 89 yet it ran fine.

 I used a 72 case and heads I had here and it was the same exact auto trans
1600 as the 73 the case and heads down to the PCV breather were the same .
However the stock pistons on both had the dished drop and the new set which
were Mahle were flat top yet at that time it ran perfect. I did used the
dist from the 72 and the vacuum advance from the 73 because the 72 auto dist
looked in better shape yet even timed at 5 BTDC I didn't have these issues.
I checked the timing and it does not jump around and is steady .

 The odd part about this is the car didn't have these issues in 2006 . In
2009 I changed all the fuel lines and filter , spark plugs , vacuum lines ,
valve adjustment ext this is when it seemed to change . I didn;t touch the
timing because without points it does not change. In 2015 May I replaced the
plug wires with the same proper Bosch 7mm gray ones I had before. Did the
valves again and still noticed this odd erractic miss and remembered the IAD
temp sensor I unplugged in 2009 because it developed a hunting and would not
start at times when warm and suddenly this all cleared up doing nothing on
my part. At that time the idle raised as now with that sensor unplugged yet
it seemed to run better in 2009 even with that sensor plugged in . I didn't
notice the popping and never tried to run the RPM's up in park I really was
not paying that much attention .I have only put 1500 miles on it since 2009
to present and only noticed the erratic idle because one day I had the
engine running and the tail gate locked after a trip to the store so I had
to unlock it with another spare key I carry before pulling it in the garage
, I usually unlock it after I leave a store . I may have been there in 2009
and I didn't notice it. I thought it might be the spark plugs I put in in
2009 yet I bought set sets one for the rebuilt engine in 97 and a second set
for spares . They were Bosch plugs W8AC if I recall . I can't be certain now
if they were resister plugs because I didn't pay any attention . Always got
my parts from the same place back then all they dealt with were VW air
cooled.

 I haven't replaced the runner hoses or head gaskets since 97 . I did clamp
the runner hoses to IAD in 2009. I haven't been on the freeway since 06
except once in 2015 and it seemed to run fine 80 mile round trip . This was
before the new plug wires and cap and rotor and valve adjust I did in 2015
in March.

William