[T3] Question about D jet idle issues 73 T3

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Wed Jan 27 11:57:51 PST 2016

I have 505 vac cans, but that's only an fuel economy part and would
not cause your symptoms.

Your best eventual distributor solution would be to send both
distributors to me sometime when you could do without the car for 10
days. I could swap everything over to the '73 dist, including the
Pertronix, and install a correct 505 vac can.

When I was working on figuring out how to adjust the FI trigger
points, several people on this list were good enough to send me some
NOS and very new trigger points for comparison. The NOS set was
non-Bosch, the only such set I've ever seen, and it was totally out
of whack. (That's the technical term.) It would never have worked at
all, until I adjusted it.

I'm not a fan of NOS. I'm afraid lots of people see NOS as the holy
grail and are willing to spend big bucks on such things, when good
used (and tested/proven) parts are cheap. About the only parts I will
routinely replace are exhaust valves. Everything else gets
tested/inspected and reused or replaced with good parts, new or used.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org