[T3] On 73 FI TPS?

William J catnine09 at dslextreme.com
Sun Jul 3 21:11:30 PDT 2016

Is it possible or even probable that when the throttle is closed and the TPS is adjusted where with an ohm meter reads what it should when it should to cause the idle to to be steady?

 I ask because long ago a fellow who used to work for Porsche worked at a ford dealership I worked at and told me to bend the stop tab so that instead of the Bentley instructions all I had to do was turn it CCW until it hit the stop the CW one * mark.

 It does have the 20 injector clicks key on and I don't need to move much at all before the 1st click happens. Yet there is only a bit of clearence between the stop and the arm and I thought perhaps while running and with a bit of wear in the IAD shaft where the forked switch that it may contact the stop . Or maybe vibration could cause this. I have the write up Jim sent and it checked out fine yet this is with the engine off.

 If I recall there is an idle circuit that even if the wiper is on it the forked switch must also contact the left pin looking down at the with the cover off of there will be no ground through the double wiper . This car also had the EGR valve , it seems only the late 72 and 73 in the Bentley use pin 14 at the ECU . Do I need this if I removed the EGR relay and the old rusted valve. # 14 in the ECU must do something , have no idea what so I left it thinking it may be a ground .

 I sort of understand how the TPS works . Here's what I see. 12 /47 is ground yet it's only ground on de-cell because only then does the forked switch contact the left pin the right pin on the forked switch only makes contact on accel . The what I call idle circuit is pin 17 .  The center contact where the forked copper switch is staked is always in contact with a double wiper slidding contact to pin 2/14 rides on a circuit board strip that is connected directly to 12/47 and must be ground on accel along with the stepped 9 & 20 . Also 2/14 strip on the board has a break close to full throttle which the double wiper appears to jump across at the same time as the wiper on pin 9 is just past the enrichment zig zag . It also appears the cover has it's own stops molded in place . I need to somehow measure to see what contacts them when. One must stop the wipers from hitting the plug contacts or they would bend , then again the throttle plate wide open or closed should I think prevent that provided the TPS is set corrent or close to it. Yet there are stops in the cover for some reason. Perhaps so one can't move it to far when it's not installed or too far while adjusting it?

 I have 2 of these TPS ending in 024 or vw E . One on the car has a wide copper contact the other which I have used has a thin wire . At some point I recall setting both stops the way he suggested. Is there any way to know how far the stop should be bent all I recall is bending them closer to the arm not by a lot and one more than the other.

 For all I know this may have nothing to do with the issue I have and it's only at idle . It all clears up if I unplug the IAD temp sensor and if I do that the idle is never the same in park or in drive it varies 2 to 300 RPM hot or cold. I brought this up because I thought since when I let off the gas I hear popping out the exhaust thinking maybe the off fuel circuit is not working proper. Have no issues giving it gas and no missing .

 I never had trouble adjusting the TPS before he told me to bend that damn stop . All I recall is if the TPS was not set proper it would not idle well or it would lag , so long ago I forgot which. Last time I removed the cover with the TPS still on the IAD and there was not much of a gap before it hit the stop .

---