[T3] Throttle cable and front tin

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Tue Jul 5 06:30:52 PDT 2016

On 5 Jul 2016 at 13:20, kirk wrote:

> My question for you all is about the throttle cable and the front
> engine tin. I have a 73 sq with duel solex 32's. I seem to be getting
> some throttle cable drag around the area of where the throttle cable
> comes through the tin. It seems like there should be a bracket that
> holds the cable in place just before it runs through the tin. Or is
> the tin supposed to be doing double duty cable bracket and heat
> shield?

There should be a flexible tube/housing in front of the front tin.
Its rear end should fit inside the little nipple that's part of the
front tin. The tin is secured by 2 flaps that overlap the front of
the engine case and the 2 screws that attach it to the side tins.
That's all there is.

Unless your '73 was originally sold outside the US, it originally
came with EFI, so it's been modified back to the earlier carbs. It's
possible that this modification included some extra springs that put
greater load on the throttle cable and the front tin.

If your front tin seems to move too much, check to make sure it's not
bent, that the 2 flaps are snug on the case, that the front tin is
secure to the side tins, and that all the side tin screws are
properly in place. And look to see if there seem to be any extra
springs in the carb linkages.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org