[T3] ECU question .

William J catnine09 at dslextreme.com
Wed Jul 6 16:33:34 PDT 2016

I have the one which is an E unit that came with my 73 SB . I also have one that came off a 72 yet it does not have the tag on it . It does have the ground wire tab just like the E unit . I used it once to see it might change what was rich running that turned out to be low voltage from a bad regulator.

 All is has is a white paper tag right inside just ahead to the ECU connector with  this number printed on it 725734.

 The only difference between the 73 Calif FI SB I have and the 72 was the 72 did not have the EGR and no plugs in the harness for it . It did have the EGR relay plus an older type cold start valve and the three port vacuum valve to the dual port dist vacuum advance and all three were mounted on the MPS bracket . It had the AH dist with the proper vacuum  advance 73 had the AH single .

 Both had the PCV setup and the IAD's the 72 had no pipe bolted on top for the EGR and on extra vacuum advance port for the like AG dist. The MPS on the 72 looked new and is VW # 311 906 051B. I need to look for the Bosch # I know it's on it . It had the ground tab as did the 311 906 021E that screwed to gether rather than rivets.

 Every thing else was the same on both systems .

 I have no history of the PO of either car so since the MPS on  the 72 was new perhaps the entire bracket was removed for another car and it them had the EGR relay and old cold start valve on it.

 I have no idea where VW mounted the three way vacuum valve # 113906283 on the dual vacuum advance unit of why the 022906047A which from phot's looks like an older type CSV why this of the EGR relay where there at all.

 There's my info I have . the 73 had everything on it that was stock that it should have. Even the ERG valve and it's rusted pipe and filter that never worked. With this how would I know if the ECU from the 72 is compatable for a 73 ? All I know is it worked the same as the known E unit when I tired it many years ago. Just hoping I have a spare. My E unit works fine.

 Back then in 85 I was not up on year changes and only had the Bentley and a Haynes so I plugged the ECU in and used the newer MPS and if ran great . I can't recall how long the 72 ECU was on this car . It also ran the same with either MPS back then.

---