[T3] Do you have a '68 or '70 Type 3?

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Sat Jul 9 13:11:41 PDT 2016

About a month ago, in the process of getting my '69 Square ready to
drive to the Invasion, I discovered a major problem with the
grounding under the dash, especially for the FI electric fuel pump.
I've come up with a good fix for this, but I'd like to verify which
years have this problem.

So far I've applied my fix to 3 different '69s, but I think this
problem exists on all cars up thru '70 and is especially important to
fix if you have a FI car in the years '68 to '70.

I've verified this for '69s, but if you have a FI '68 or '70, please
check under the dash to see if what you have there is as described
below.

The fuel pump wires come thru a rubber grommet in the firewall to the
left of the steering column. They are a red and brown wire, in a
black jacket. The red wire goes to the fuel pump relay and the brown
wire goes to an inline connector to another brown wire that comes
down from somewhere above in the dash.

If this is what you have, please let me know, making sure to tell me
what year you have.

thanks,

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org