[T3] Do you have a '68 or '70 Type 3?

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Sun Jul 10 08:33:54 PDT 2016

On 10 Jul 2016 at 10:53, Matt McKeon wrote:

> Jim-

> I've got a '70 FI square and it has almost what you describe. The red
> wire comes through to the rely, but the accompanying brown goes up
> behind the dash and has a spade connector right to the metal support,
> not into another connector.

Does your black wire spade connector connect to a multiple male spade
connector that's somewhat above the steering column? If so, then your
car is more like the '71s and later, meaning VW fixed the problem
earlier than I thought. I've been assuming that the fix came in with
the '71 dash revision. What month was your '70 made? (Or what's your
VIN?) It might have been a mid-year change.

Also, please check under the right side of your dash, just under the
left end of the glove box there is a support that runs out from the
firewall to the lower edge of the dash. Is this support bolted in
place or is it welded? If welded, is there a ground lug welded to it,
facing upwards, about 2/3 of the way back to the firewall?

I'd still like to hear from other '70 owners, to get a better
understanding of when VW fixed this grounding problem.

> What sort of issues were you experiencing?

On my '69, the ground wire for the fuel pump connected to the left
end of a long daisy chain of grounds that was probably fine for
decades, but it failed on me a couple weeks ago. When the fuel pump
doesn't get a good ground, the car stops. And it was not an easy
thing to figure out.

thanks for responding,

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org