[T3] News and questions from the road

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Tue Jul 12 08:43:17 PDT 2016

Daniel & Jessica,

Glad to hear that things are going pretty much okay. Your gas mileage
sounds quite normal, considering the wind and your airspeed. Few
people realize that air drag is the main part of highway driving
power consumption, and that a roof rack adds considerably to that
drag. Will the roof rack fit inside the square?

As for hills, I was surprised, long ago, to find that, in the long
run, hills didn't seem to effect my gas mileage; what I lost going
uphill, I regained going down. And the reduced drag from thin air at
altitude always results in better gas mileage but less power from the
normally aspirated engine.

The squareback must be the worst of the Type 3 body styles in a cross
wind. It's sort of like a sail back there. I've no fasty or notch
driving experience, but I have to assume they are better, and, of
course, the Ghia may not even notice cross winds.

As for not starting, have you tried the "coin trick"? It's possible
that your relay is fried, as it takes a rather special relay to
handle the solenoid current, which can be quite high.

Yes, western Wyoming and Montana are gorgeous! Hope you get to spend
some time with the Tetons.

Thanks for the update,

Jim

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org