[T3] News and questions from the road

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Thu Jul 14 04:46:45 PDT 2016

That starter scenario is entirely normal (!); my Type 3 used to do the same
thing, as do many others. I used to energise the starter briefly straight
after stopping the engine just to shake things back to where they should be.
That worked for a few years, but the problem hasn't recurred since fitting a
hard start relay, which was actually just a Bosch relay with integral fuse
holder.  The fuse is 15 Amp if I recall - I don't think it's anything very
special. It takes the load off the ignition/starter switch contact, so
should help that survive longer than not having a relay.

Since having hot starting (starter motor not turning) issues decades ago,
first on 6V and then on 12V Type 3s, I've puzzled over what aspect of heat
soak can be behind this problem - thermal expansion, local drying out of
lubricant etc. It may be a combination of sticking armature (often
temporarily shocked into working by a tap with a hammer!), brushes not
making good enough contact with the armature (hammer trick again), sticking
gear on motor shaft (quickly shorting solenoid to battery main feed terminal
with coin as emergency technique - cleaning and lightly lubricating the
shaft does seems to help).
It only needs one or a combination of these factors to cause the problem.
That's why at the refuelling stop on the way to Boise on the first invasion,
Russ was lying under John's car using the nickel trick!

Good luck with the rest of the journey.

Dave
UK VW Type 3&4 Club