[T3] Starter?

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Wed Jul 20 18:34:41 PDT 2016

On 21 Jul 2016 at 1:18, Daniel K. Du Vall wrote:

> Starting today (No pun intended) the starter on the 72 Squareback Manual Trans makes a grinding noise after start for just a few seconds.
> I am sure this can be fixed but my question is more about using my 74 bug starter as an in between option since it's not doing anything for the bug at the moment or anytime soon.
> Is this possible?

It's quite possible, although the later starters were shorter so you
may have difficulty getting the large battery cable to reach. There's
also the significant possibility that it won't fix the problem. It's
possible that it's grinding because the bushing in the tranny case
has worn out. Inspect that before you do anything else. You may be
able to see it with a light and mirror, or make a go/no-go gauge to
slip in there.

The gauge should be a flat piece of metal, with a tongue that's ~1/2
mm wider than the diameter of the starter shaft. It should not be
able to slip into the bushing in any orientation.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org