[T3] type3-vwtype3.org Digest, Vol 70, Issue 32

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Tue Jul 26 17:42:33 PDT 2016

Have a good trip, Ross.  The exhaust noise is music to the ears - no need
for a radio!  The original twin carb tool kit had a plug spanner (box
wrench) with a long hollow shank about 1/4" dia and two cross drillings at
90 degrees for a 'tommy' bar to turn.  It cleared the carbs OK. The Beetle
system of using the other end of the wheel bolt box wrench is no good on
dual carb Type 3s.  Otherwise you can use a socket with universal joint, but
starting the thread for replacing the plug can be difficult.  Some suggest
taking off the carbs as a simpler technique! The FI models don't have the
same troubles of clearance as the carb types.

Dave
UK VW Type 3&4 Club