[T3] Do you have a '68 or '70 Type 3?

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Sat Jul 9 17:09:03 PDT 2016

On 9 Jul 2016 at 16:52, William J wrote:

> I'm a bit lost on the fuel pump prime. This is only on the stock pumps
> right?

I've no experience with non-oe pumps, but I see no reason why it
should not happen with any of them. It's all about fuel boiling in
the heat soak after shutdown.

>  Isn't the check valve in the pump that holds the prime? Or does the
> pressure regulator also affect this?

Both, and lots more, like how well insulated the fuel lines on the
engine are. They all had grey vinyl sleeves on them when new. Those
provided a bit of a heat shield and it probably only takes a bit to
make a difference.

>  My pump is still the one it had when it got it in 85 . Maybe it's because I
> drove it everyday yet it always started just turning the key on didn't
> matter hot or cold .

Lots depends on the ambient temp where you park the car. It's also
somewhat dependent on altitude and barometric pressure. And it's
certainly worse if the check valve in your pump is not perfect.

>  I can't recall when I had to cycle the key 4 to 5 times before it would
> start seems like maybe 2007 or 09 . Now suddenly after I was replacing the
> tie rod ends I checked the lines then pushed on the pumps plug and it went
> on maybe 1/8" further and this began . Once it starts I can shut it down for
> well over an hour and it fires back up.

Once it starts, if you shut it down right away, that creates the
ideal restart condition: cold engine, filled gas lines. No boiling
occurs under those conditions so there's no problem next time you
start.

>  I suppose it would not hurt to clean the pumps terminals .  What works best
> for cleaning the MAP and dist trigger and TVS terminals can't get in there
> with a wire brush . they seem to have some sort of silver color coating on
> them meaning the male ends.

Lots of people think cleaning the terminals just MUST help, but it
doesn't. The terminals only make contact in a few high pressure
spots. In those spots they clean themselves as they slide together
and they make good contact and that's all that's necessary.

Sure, clean the contacts if it makes you feel better, but it's a
waste of time. It won't help, but it certainly doesn't hurt, either.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org