[T3] Rear deck engine seal

73 squareback Cincy swaffordvw at cinci.rr.com
Tue Jun 7 16:48:17 PDT 2016

I have like a 16 inch stinger coming out of the back with no baffle. So
its not far from the rear of the car. but the heat exchangers are there.
just not hooked up. so ill check out that deck seal as well as block the
open area under the back seat. I have to re install the pipes and dont
drive it in the winter so I just dont use heat what so ever... Its just
my toy... But always good to know when you havent dove in to repairing
things and its been years! Thanks guys!

Chris537

On 5/29/2016 9:18 PM, Jim Adney wrote:
> On 29 May 2016 at 18:55, Jim Adney wrote:
>
>> The most common cause of exhaust in the interior is leaky muffler
>> connections to the bottom heat exchangers. Exhaust that blows forward
>> from those seals gets into the airbox side of the heat exchanger, and
>> a little of that gets into the passenger compartment even if the heat
>> is "off." It doesn't take much to make a lot of stink.
> I should add that I've used a Permatex Muffler putty/compound that
> actually works VERY well and lasts a long time to fix leaks that I
> never expected to seal well. The important thing to do is to wet the
> leak area with water before you apply the putty and then work it into
> the spot well.

---