[T3] under the cylinder cooling tin

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Mon Jun 13 06:49:49 PDT 2016

On 13 Jun 2016 at 13:06, ken2k wrote:

>  My 66 type 34 was rebuilt a few years ago and it starts right up,
> idles perfect and drives great.however, after driving it takes a few
> hours to cool down enough to start again. I noticedthat the tin under
> the cylinders is not the same as I am used to, it doesn't wrap around
> the side of the cylinders. my question is could this be the cause ofit
> running hot and can it be fixed  using the spring loaded push rod
> tubes.

Up until '71, we all got the old style little 4 x 4" square piece of
tin. From '71-on, there's a much more complicated piece that got
called "cool tin."

Push rod tubes won't have any effect on this. I'm guessing that
you're getting vapor lock from the "heat soak after shutdown." I
don't know if there's anything in particular about those cars that
makes them more prone to this, but you should make sure your cooling
system is all good: bellows in place, no rust holes that can suck in
hot air, not running too lean, etc.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org