[T3] 2016 Invasion Thanks

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Jun 21 19:44:19 PDT 2016

John, Jill, Melissa and I are in Troy, IL, just east of St. Louis for
the night. Everything still seems on track for all of us to be home
tomorrow night. John lost his muffler about 30 miles back, but
there's a muffler shop nearby that opens at 7:30 AM, so that's
probably in his plans. We'll head north to Madison, but now it looks
like we'll be driving thru rain and thunderstorms.

Many thanks to Ken & Sue Rogers for preparing another wonderful
Invasion. I'd blame them for the heat, but we know that wouldn't be
fair. Not sure how hot it got where we were, but John heard a weather
report for somewhere west of Flagstaff that said it was 124 F there.

It was clearly over 100 as we drove north to Flagstaff and then even
hotter as we progressed eastward. We couldn't figure out why ALL the
exit/entrance ramps were parked full of semi's, but we eventually
figured out that they had all stopped and were waiting to continue
after sunset.

The heat, combined with the altitude, gave us some trouble on the way
east. Nothing major, but I had some difficulty getting restarted a
couple times, and Sophie developed a gas leak. The Type 34 never
faltered. Our few stops going eastward were most notable for the
intense sun and heat. That was brutal.

For our drives eastward, we stayed in our motels until the sun got
high enough that it would no longer be directly in our eyes, then we
drove later into the night, making 450 to 550 miles per day.

Tomorrow should be a shorter day if all goes well.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org