[T3] Eastern Invasion Caravan

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Wed Jun 22 18:35:43 PDT 2016

John, Jill, Melissa, and I made it to Troy, IL (just east of St.
Louis) somewhat late Tuesday evening. Most of that trip was
uneventful, but Sophie's Bugpack quiet power muffler broke off near
the end of that trip. Fortunately, that happened at a good place to
pull off, and we were able to walk back and retrieve it.

John found a willing muffler shop the next morning that was able to
weld it back on and replace the missing bolt that caused the break.

We split up this morning, John & Jill heading east and we heading
north. We encounterd very little rain and nothing more than what I'd
call medium rain. No high winds, no hail, and no true downpours.
There's a mild drizzle outside right now; it's 70 F but 90% humidity.

We rolled into Madison at 3:10 this afternoon. The car is unpacked
and we went out to dinner at a favorite watering hole. We had a text
message from John that they also made it home safely, and also with
minimal weather impact.

Our '69 Square did pretty well. The only problem it seemed to have
the last few days seemed to be in a switch in the CDI unit I had just
installed. That worked perfectly as long as I "exercised" the switch
a couple times each day.

I'll do a mileage total on our Square tomorrow after I top off her
tank. After that, she gets some touch-ups of some of the cosmetic
things that I've neglected. She did well and deserves a little TLC.
Not bad for a car that had been off the road for 14 years.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org