[T3] The no horn blues

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Wed Jun 22 18:35:43 PDT 2016

On 19 Jun 2016 at 20:58, Daniel Nohejl wrote:

> So....is there anything we can do to repair our T3 horn? It looks like the one here:
>
> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=618250 <http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=618250>

It's worth trying to fix, as the OEMs like that are really nice.

Take it apart and clean out the rust. Try not to tear the paper
gasket.

Find the spot of tar on the back and dig out the tar to see if you
can turn the adjustment screw. Clean out any dirt from the contacts
inside.

Put it back together and test it. Turn the screw and find the place
where the horn is loudest. DO NOT turn the screw while it's sounding.
Alternate: turn-sound-turn-sound, etc.

I have one here that is perfect except for an open coil. I don't
understand what could have gone wrong with that beautifully potted
coil, but I'd love to fix it. The potting is just too tough to dig
out without damaging the coil.

Let me know how it goes, as my '69 horn has also given up on making
anything close to a serious sound.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org