[T3] Draw on battery.

dlstiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Thu Jun 23 09:07:39 PDT 2016

In advance I want to apologize for the long post but I need some extra
heads to bounce this off of. I usually don't drive Clementine much this
time of the year (late May-mid September) but my son's Golf is sick and
needed a car to drive to work. His commute is about 25-30 miles one way.
He got to work about 6 in the morning then went out on his break between
9-10 in the morning and the battery was dead. I went down there jumped
it off and left him my Ram truck to get him back home. When I got home I
didn't shut it off and hooked up the DVOM to the battery and got about
14.3 volts. Then I shut the engine off the volts dropped down to about
13.5. I then took the ground off cable the battery put one lead on the
ground cable and the other on the negative post on the battery. The DVOM
red 12.5 volts. I started pulling the fuses one by one look at the
reading then put the fuse back in. No change on any fuse. I then
unhooked the wire from the positive side of the battery to the voltage
regulator and it dropped close to 0. So I thought OK it's the regulator.
By the way I just put this regulator on the car back during the big
restoration. It's one of those newer compact solid state ones that Bosch
makes now. The only thing that confuses me now is I went back the next
day and done the same test to the wire between the battery and voltage
regulator again but this time it read almost 7 volts. As long as I leave
the battery cable off when it's not running everything is fine. So am I
missing something? Or dose it sound like I got a dud voltage regulator?

Dennis Stiefel
72 Fastback FI MT
Rainsville, AL