[T3] Draw on battery.

William J catnine09 at dslextreme.com
Thu Jun 23 13:09:08 PDT 2016

 You are checking volts (IE) voltage drop to do a voltage drop you need to
leave the cables connected . The way you  are testing you have a voltage
drop on 1 volt between the neg battery terminal and ground cable.

 To really check for a draw I would use the amp setting on the DMM
connecting one lead to the battery positive and the other to the
disconnected positive cable and see how many amps are being drawn if less
than 10 go to the ma scale if you have one .

 I would check the battery terminals and the battery ground strap where in
mounts to the panel and just clean both and clean the battery positive
terminal and clamp . Your voltage tells me it's charging . How old is the
battery ?

 7 volts is quite a lot of a draw also keep in mind the red/white cable to
the B+ on the reg is the main power feed . Try removing the other red/white
lead that feeds the power to the fuse box just to narrow it down while
leaving the red/white from the battery connected that will tell you if the
draw is between the battery pos and regulator B+ or from the regulator B+ to
the ign and or fuse panel none of those are fused . You can use the
voltmeter but it's easier to use the amp meter so you know the amp draw.
Just don't try to start the car with the amp meter connected.

 If you find the draw in between the reg B+ and the fuse box . If you have a
bentley you will see what I'm talking about also if you have a rear window
defroster it also runs off the regulator and it the relay is stuck on for
some reason there is a fuse holder right off the regulator about 6 inchs
away remove that fuse and see if that cures it.