[T3] Clemmie's Invasion MPG, Joys & Troubles

Phil Hof phil.hof at ostronic.org
Sat Jun 25 21:28:53 PDT 2016

Minor updates:

Not sure about other years, but on my ’71 there is a T3 connector on the left side of the frunk, under the cardboard mat near the brake fluid reservoir.  It turns out to be handy for owner troubleshooting as well as manufacturing assembly for VW.  The three wires come from the dash area and include three wiring paths.  The first one is the horn hot side.  The second is the 12V heading to the brake light switches.  The third is the brake light return from the switches (with the other side leading back to the brake lights).  This made it easy to determine the source of the brake light failure, without having to trace wire runs.  It turns out the new-looking brake light switches were ebad.  They are the same brand (FTE) as my replacements, and are supposedly German.  They lasted between 5-8 years but I didn’t expect them to fail since I use DOT5 fluid.  But they are working now.

I put on the spare resonator (without the O2 sensor bung), since I am done experimenting with MPS adjustments.  I think I’ll loan it to a friend in my local club who may want to tune his after he rebuilds his motor.  It’s easy to seal out this way… one bolt and one clamp (plus a little muffler goop on the asbestos ring).

Tranny is filled.  I may play with the shifter position to see if I can get better 1-2 shifts.  The coupler under the car was tight so that wasn’t the cause of my balky upshifting.  I’ll drive it tomorrow after the muffler goop hardens overnight.

Finished the day up with a wash; wax tomorrow.  Gotta keep my promises to the gal!

-Phil