[T3] Moaning in and out of gear

Daniel Nohejl d.nohejl at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 18:27:30 PDT 2016

Yes, changed the muffler yesterday and it has no bearing on the sound. Are you sure you don’t hear anything? I have tinnitus in both hears and some moderate hearing loss and it’s as plain as day to me. Try earbuds or something?

A bit more info……when standing behind the car, I can hear the noise when Jessica revs the motor to the rpm the noise emerges at. When I open the hatch, I hear it less, and when I open the engine cover I can barely hear it at all but I can feel vibration/pulsing in the fan housing in synch with the noise. So the full experience of the noise requires everything to be buttoned up so that it can resonate more fully under the cover and in the rear of the car.

So it would seem to be the fan. It was welded and balanced. My understanding is that the fan is something of a harmonic balancer so perhaps the welding changes how it resonates? Not only were the individual blades welded but the center of the fan was tack welded to the larger outer fan. Am I on to something? If not the fan, perhaps the housing?

I have some recollection of hearing the noise months ago but kind of forgot about it until recently but, again, I can’t tell if that’s because it’s worse or I’m just tuned into it more.