[T3] I still have this 73 fuel injection issue.

William J catnine09 at dslextreme.com
Tue Jun 28 20:26:51 PDT 2016

 I got the proper MPS and it does run better . Before I was un plugging the IAD temp sensor in order for it to idle smooth yet in doing so I had to lower the RPM and even the idle speed was not steady or always the same.

 With the correct MPS it's better yet if I drive and say moving 20 MPH and let off the gas sudden I hear a popping out the exhaust . I know the cheap EMPI header and muffler where they clamp to the lower heat exchangers are not sealed real well with the VW type clamps so this may cause the popping and it's only when I let off the gas.

 I described this a while back as having an unsteady/ lag in response from idle to 2000 RPM then it clears up . I don't experience this in drive and moving off or any sort of miss. I can create the popping in park just bringing the RPM up  to say 1600 and let off and get one pop , while driving and letting off it will pop perhaps one , two or at worst three times . It sounds just like a dry CV joint yet it's not.

 What do I have here , is it just air entering the muffler and unburnt fuel ? I didn't get this with the IAD temp sensor un plugged. Even higher octane fuel does nothing.

 Timing is where it should be . It sort of came on slow then got to where I could hear it or I just never focused on it before . I don't find anything wrong with the dist . All I find is unplugging that temp sensor affects it , it seems to point to mixture. I noticed this over a year ago , I could hear this unsteady idle if near the muffler not a steady miss or hunting. Since changing the MPS it's more steady yet still I can notice it if near the muffler so that cut it by 50% . TPS has no issues , fuel pressure is steady , can't say what it is while driving yet it has no lack of power .

 Also when I replaced the tie rod ends I looked up at the pump and lines to see how they looked and for some reason pushed on the fuel pump plug and it moved in a bit and since then it seems I need to key on/off up to 8 times before it will prime enough to start and stay running if it sits for 2 to 3 days. After that even if it sets for over an hour it fires right up. Last I checked the pressure held at 18 for at least 6 hours. Can't say why something tells me it was pushing the pumps plug on further when this began yet it's fine after the 1st start. Before I had to key on/off at most 6 times. The pump is not noisy and it does prime.

 In 2009 I changed all the fuel lines and filter and plugs , valve adjust and injector seals before this it ran fine . At that time it began hunting then it was hard to start on a hot day at times then it all cleared up . I also put the lower heat exchangers back on , had empi J pipes before ran fine before all of the above. Since then I replaced the plug wires and cap and rotor didn't change. I also pulled the ECU plug and checked each wire to each FI componant and found nothing. In that frame work something changed.

---