[T3] Factory Steering Wheel?

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Tue Mar 1 16:46:17 PST 2016

Whats REALLY scary Jim is that I think I remember that 72!
18 years ago I made that first trip out west... WOW!
unfortunately it was squished in your garage and I didnt look inside.

Perhaps your memory was right and someone like ME or Dave Pallo got a hold
of it first, I have a 71 with the late wheel and gauges which I put in it in
1988 when I got it and Dave put the early wheel on his 72 liking it better,
I now have his old wheel on the 71 replacing the cracked wheel off my 73...

and the wheels on the car go round and round....

:-)

Keith

Here are all the VINs when those various features were introduced.

VW diagnostics: 311 2 212 452

Larger front calipers: 311 2 268 738

E brain: 312 2 000 001

Black faced instruments: 312 2 000 001

4 spoke steering wheel: 312 2 000 001

3 rail front seats: 312 2 133 001

Black wiper arms & blades: 312 2 158 628

I'm beginning to think that my memory was wrong about my '72 having a
2-spoke steering wheel, and the microfilm says I'm wrong about grey
faced gauges. Does anyone else remember seeing a '72 with grey faced
gauges? I should have taken more photos. I scrapped out that car 16
years ago; doesn't seem that long....