[T3] 412 Brake Caliper Question

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Fri Mar 4 06:07:32 PST 2016

On 3 Mar 2016 at 23:13, Bobsnotch at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 3/3/2016 10:27:13 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
> jadney at VWType3.org writes:
>
> Does  anyone know if these late Type 4/914 calipers would have come
> originally  with that mechanism?
>
> According to Ray Greenwood, all of that is supposed to be missing in  type
> 4 calipers. You could PM him thru the Samba if you need to, or do a quick
> search of the type 4 forum there, as that's where he spends a lot of time. I
> mentioned to him to see about contacting you about a custom "vent kit" for
> the  411/412 that he has, as 411/412 parts are hard to find in useable
> condition.

The early Type 4 calipers clearly came with the mechanism, since
those calipers are the same part # as our late ones, but it sounds
like the late Type 4 calipers came without it.

The vent tube on Type 4s is just a length of rather normal looking
fabric covered euro hose. It's a completely different, and better,
design requiring no sharp bends anywhere. Easy to replace if
necessary, but the few I've seen were fine and looked like they would
last forever.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org