[T3] Anyone know , tailgate hinge stop?

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Sat Mar 5 02:40:39 PST 2016

Surprisingly, when I looked at mine, there are two horribly denatured lumps
of rubber where the hinge hits the mount - I can't find them in the parts
book, and there are none on my '73 parts car, so it may be an effort from
the previous (first) owner to address the problem.

There's probably a bit more reason for this:  the elderly owner had fitted
an old Beetle sunvisor (the 50's translucent sort) to the passenger sunvisor
to suit a very short passenger. I have a vision of a 'little old lady'
sitting so low she needed a lower sunvisor.  Being that short, she would
never have been able to open the tailgate in a controlled manner.

But then I'm full of theories - just no way to prove or disprove this one!

As a minor mod, it would be a simple addition anyone could make with a
couple of decent erasers!

Dave
UK VW Type 3&4 Club