[T3] Back to my auto trans diff oil change.

Phil Hof phil.hof at ostronic.org
Tue Mar 8 21:39:44 PST 2016

I would be concerned that the seal between the diff and tranny has failed, diluting your oil.  I’ve read about a failure something like this on the Samba, and it can be repaired but do not delay as tranny failure can follow if you wait.

Ray Greenwood wrote:

Heed this warning:.......if you have a type 003 automatic transmission in either a type 3 or 4......you MUST, MUST,MUSt,MUST, MUST, MUST, MUST....get it?...MUST.......
Change the seal, gaskets and o-rings between the differential and automatic section...every 7 years or 70,000 miles.....or else suffer the fate you have most probably suffered.

It is very common that the seal...which is not perfect material for either gear oil or AT fluid...but is a compromise......eventually fails. When this happens, AT fluid gets into the final drive SAE 90 oil. It can cause failure. This is very common. I wiped out two transmissions this way before I learned.
-Phil