[T3] ATe Brake Caliper Question

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Thu Mar 10 12:43:18 PST 2016

I'm hoping someone on this list can help me with a couple of caliper
questions. I rebuild a lot of Ate (Alfred Teves) calipers for our
Type 3s. They come in 2 versions: smaller early ('66-71) and larger
late ('71-73.) These have cast steel bodies with 2 opposed 42 mm
pistons in 2 cylinders. They are fixed, not floating, calipers. These
both have the extra pins in the caliper body and the mechanism inside
the piston to compensate for excess axle flex. There is also a later
Type 4/914 caliper that is almost exactly the same as the late Type 3
caliper except that it takes a thicker pad. This caliper does NOT
have the compensating mechanism and will not fit any of our Type 3s.
Once I've seen a few calipers from this era, it's clear that Ate
machined calipers for different applications from the same castings,
so, for example, Beetle calipers look just like ours, but have 40 mm
bores rather than 42 mm bores. There appear to be lots of variations
made from the same castings.

I've read references to different versions or generations of Ate
calipers and, just out of curiosity, I'd like to know which versions
I'm working on. I've seen references to an "M" caliper. Were all the
Ate caliper generations assigned an alphabetical letter in order?
Does anyone know what ours are?

Also, over the years I've accumulated a couple of calipers that
appear to have come from different cars. If possible, I'd like to get
those back to someone who might really want them. Here's what I have:

1) Smaller caliper, the same casting as Type 3 early ones, 42 mm
plain pistons, with cast in BMW and Ate markings. Would these be for
2002 or 1600, perhaps rears? This one could be built up to fit a Type
3, but without the compensating mechanism.

2) Smaller caliper, the same casting as Type 3 early ones, 38 mm
pistons with the special compensating mechanism inside but without
the usual 20 deg cut on the piston face, with cast in Ate marking
only.

Can anyone tell me what these might have come from? Is there a
listing somewhere that calls out all the Ate caliper variations with
their applications? I'd love to see a chart with all this info on it.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org