[T3] Bad day at the (FI) office

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Wed Mar 16 07:07:10 PDT 2016

On 15 Mar 2016 at 21:46, Daniel Nohejl wrote:

> I was wondering this evening about power supply both to the brain and
> to/from the relay under the back seat. Perhaps I should also check the
> ground and power connections there. But would intermittent failure of
> power or ground cause the motor to stall or to blink/hiccup like it
> currently does?

Certainly a brief loss of electrical power would cause a brief loss
of FI. No harm in double-checking the power relay, but since we've
already been down this road multiple times, it seems unlikely that
that's what's causing this problem. Also, to me at least, this seems
like a new problem, so my impression is that it must have come with
the "new" brain. Let me know if I'm wrong about this.

It could also have something to do with the connection to the brain,
which is why I sent you the bit of edge connector to check the
tightness of each pin. You should also check where each wire is
crimped into its pin. Note that on one of the styles of connector,
you can easily pull the pins out the back of the connector once you
remove the 2 screws and the handle. If you try this, be careful, as
they could ALL back out on you suddenly, leaving you wondering which
ones go back where.

> I don´t know if it´s relevant, but I installed the fuel pump prime
> switch/button on Sunday and we´re running the switch off the bottom of
> fuse #8, the red 16 amp fuse for the wiper motor. Of course my issue
> exists even with the wipers off, but I figured I´d put it out there in
> case using that fuse sends up a red flag for anyone.

Shouldn't be relevant. Should have no effect on the normal operation
of the pump circuit.

> We had little energy left for testing after work today but we found
> that with the pedal floored, we´re maybe 10*-20* off from full
> throttle as seen here
>
> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1478218 <http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1478218>
>
> I pulled the cable further through the barrel clamp and now it´s 100%
> open though I´m at the last bit of metal on the cable end to clamp
> down on before the cable itself. If it matters, this is the same cable
> the car came to us with 4 years ago and for all I know it´s original
> to the car. I´ve yet to examine the throttle Bowden tube or anything
> else.

In the position shown in your photo, you should be getting at least
96% of full power. A little more can't hurt, but you probably won't
be able to tell the difference.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org