[T3] 73 auto trans shifting questons. For those with 003 auto trans

William J catnine09 at dslextreme.com
Wed Mar 16 15:58:17 PDT 2016

 I brought this up before , here is what I have. Sorry for the long post in advance.

  Mine is a 73 T-3 . I just changed the trans fluid and put a new filter screen in.

 It's always shifted into 3rd gear and usually not until above 40 MPH unless I back of slightly on the throttle than it will shift sooner.

 It still shifts into 3rd yet here's the thing. When I first filled the trans it was a bit low and I noticed it took longer to shift into 2nd gear and it was a softer shift on a light throttle.

 I then added more fluid to bring it up to the high mark, fluid warm after a 3 mile drive.

 Now what I notice is it shifts sooner yet on a light throttle as in not trying to excel fast the shift is not soft and not slamming into gear . If I excel just a bit harder it shifts softer .

 I realize at light throttle there is more vacuum on the modulator and on harder excel less vacuum , at least this seems right to me. Correct me if I'm wrong.

 I now also feel it down shift as I come to a stop or slow down , it's not harsh I can just feel it.

 Most of the time I drive city streets under 30 MPH and keep it in 2nd yet the very light throttle it shifts harder than a bit more throttle , this is subjective ( light throttle and a bit more ) . Lets say you just barley push down on the gas pedal like moving the car out of a parking spot would be light throttle and a bit more would be keeping with the traffic.

 I never really paid much attention to it yet if I focus in on the shifting I do notice the difference.

 I recall not long ago I tightened the clamps I put on the FI runner hoses . I put them on because I was told they may leak and cause the hunting I experienced in 2009 . I just snugged them a tiny bit and noticed right off the shift I call harder at the time seemed more positive . It didn't do anything for the hunting and even though the runners lined up real well I was foolish to add clamps . Yet it did seem to change the way the trans shifted OR I was just more focused in.

 My question is , is this what others with auto trans models experience?

 I need to check the fluid level again in a few weeks when I have a reason to drive a 20 mile round trip. I went by the Bentley and 1st added 6 pints which is lower than Bentley which is 6 pints 5 oz. With the 6 pints it shifted softer and took longer to get into 2nd gear. I drove it on a hot day 3 miles got home and checked the level and it was just below the low mark . With the engine still running and trans warm I added 5 more oz and waited for the fluid it drain down the filler tube and then it seemed to be at the low mark so I added more and waited . finally when the fluid did reach the high mark I added 14 oz more than the Bentley 6 pint's 5 oz.

 More fluid did not change when it shifted all it did was give me a firmer feel to the shift and also I noticed it down shifted slowing down or stopping which it did before yet was less notable. .

 I really have no idea where the 6 pints 5 oz puts the fluid on the stick could be between the low and high or any where no info on that one.

 The trans never slips or does the engine rev up between shifts.

 I have not used the kick down in many years and come to think of it have not looked at the switch in a long time . It only should activate when the throttle is fully open and then some.

William

---