[T3] transmission swap question

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Fri Mar 18 07:17:17 PDT 2016

On 17 Mar 2016 at 17:49, Timothy Jones wrote:

> My 69 squareback, irs tranny code DC slips out of 4th gear
> occasionally...I just picked up a decent AH (type 1) used tranny
> cheap; I am planning on swapping them until I can send my DC out for
> rebuild. Do I just have to swap out the nose cone and hockey stick or
> are there other parts to swap tranny to tranny?

The best thing to do would be to swap only the hockey stick. If you
have to swap the nose cone, check to make SURE that it looks on the
inside just like the one you're replacing. There was a change in one
of the bearings in the next housing that required a different nose
cone. The difference is that the later nose cone has stops that keep
the needle bearing outer race from sliding axially out of the
housing. The early housing has a bolt that comes in from the side to
retain that bearing. The later housing does not have that bolt.

Once you make that switch, you'll probably notice that your gear
ratios are slightly different.

When you take the tranny out, make sure to clean the CV joint bolt
heads carefully, then tap your driver carefully all the way down into
the socket. When you're putting everything back together, be SURE to
torque each of those bolts to spec.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org