[T3] Door hinges and WD 40

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Tue Mar 22 06:15:09 PDT 2016

A special tool is used to extract them - I've details of this 'local
manufacture' tool in a VW local tool handbook. It's basically what was used
on Beetle hinges, and is simply a machine screw in a claw device to drive it
out.

WD40 does help.  I fill the cavity under the plastic cap with a mixture of
WD40 and light oil and work the door. It often works right away, but on one
it graunched for a few weeks then sudddenly a rusty blob came out and normal
function returned.  As I've said before, it works for me, though I would
never dream of putting it on fish bait!  Make sure you replace the plastic
plug on the hinge.

Dave
UK VW Type 3&4 Club