[T3] Ignition on with points closed.

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Tue Mar 29 17:16:32 PDT 2016

Don, please explain how the points will get burned even if they are closed
while the ignition is on and the engine is not turning.  Virtually all the
energy would be dissipated in the 4 Ohm primary coil winding, and while I've
never measured the resistance of a set of points, I can't believe it could
be more than a tiny fraction of the coil resistance, maybe 0.1 or 0.2 Ohms,
so don't see how there could be a significant amount of heat dissipated in
the points, let alone enough to burn them.
I've never experienced burnt points even though the ignition would have
occasionally been on for some time, eg when adjusting headlight aim, and
I've never bothered to ensure the points are open.  Certainly the coil would
warm up, as it dissipates about 40W with the engine static, and about 20W
when running (figures from Motor Industry Research Association report on
1969 FI Auto Fastback), so unless your hands are cold, there's no advantage
in it!

Obviously there's no gain leaving the ignition on unnecessarily, but I can't
see how it would be a problem for the points, which are essentially just
switch contacts.  Please explain if I'm showing my ignorance, but it sounds
like something told to apprentices to emphasise the need to turn off the
ignition and avoid flat batteries.

Dave
UK VW Type 3&4 Club