[T3] question one 003 auto trans diff section

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Wed Mar 30 11:21:50 PDT 2016

William,

I don't have much experience with these. That said, here's what I
think I can say about ATs and final drives.

Yes, the 2-letter prefix defines the part, so all EBs, etc, should be
alike inside and out. Every change got a different prefix. I don't
know final drive ratios, so if they're not in the Bentley or in
Service Without Guesswork, I'm no help. If you find various sources
that disagree, I'd go with the one that seems closest to official VW.

Unfortunately, the parts lists don't break things down by the alpha
prefix, but I note that it only lists 1 ring/pinion replacement part
at 9:33. That part # has no letter suffix, so it's either the only
ratio supplied with Type 3s, or it was the first one supplied and the
only one supplied as a replacement part.

I have one final drive downstairs, so I unpacked it to count teeth.
It's 11:43 and is stamped G1143, which I take to stand for Gleason
11:43. Unfortunately, I don't know the history of this final drive,
so I don't know what it came out of. Someone just gave it to me, but
my info seems to indicate that it must have come out of a Type 4.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org