[T3] 73 auto trans shifting questons. For those with 003 auto trans

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Wed Mar 16 22:31:39 PDT 2016

On 16 Mar 2016 at 15:58, William J wrote:

>  I brought this up before , here is what I have. Sorry for the long post in advance.

William,

It sounds like you're being obsessive and trying to be more precise
than any of this permits. None of what you've observed is abnormal.
There are many things that can affect how much ATF comes out when you
drain it, so there will naturally be variation in how much it takes
to fill it back up. There are also rounding variations in how
different publishers make the conversion from metric to English, and
there are probably tolerances in the dipstick and dipstick tube
itself, as well as differences in the actual capacities of the
different versions of the tranny.

None of this makes any difference. Just shoot to keep the level
between the marks.

Yes, the vacuum modulator changes the shift points depending on
throttle opening (actually intake manifold vacuum.) That's its job;
that's what it's there for.

Your other observations are either correct, and the result of
differences in how warm the ATF is, or differences in perception
depending on your expectations and what you were listening for at the
time.

Yes, take it out and drive it. Nothing you've mentioned indicates
that it's not ready to drive. Stop worrying and start enjoying.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org