[T3] Changed my tie rod ends ?

William J catnine09 at dslextreme.com
Mon May 2 17:35:28 PDT 2016

 Mine is a late 73 SB. It does not have the tapered tie rod end or the lock
tabs or the slits at that end of the tie rod. Mine only has a flat end on
that end of the tie rod and the nut is threaded on the tie rod end threads .
It was all stock with original ends . So I'm not sure if the nut on mine is
the same size as early models. Tram has seen this type on late models. I
didn't have to deal with the lock plate or compression ring. , in fact I
thought smething was missing until I put the tie rod in a vice locking that
nut and then tried to unscrew the end , once I did the nut broke loose and I
realized the nut just threads on the ends threads . The right side is a LH
thread and the left is RH thread, both the inner ends on the drop arm . VW
seemed to make this change late . The out side ends just have the normal
clamp with a nut and bolt and one slit in the rod itself. . I wish all 4
were like that. Can't flip them around because the left inner has the 9*
bend and is RH thread. I couldn't locate a 23 or 24 mm crows foot locally
unless sears sells one. Autozone does not.

William