[T3] Mystery Miss

Daniel Nohejl d.nohejl at gmail.com
Wed May 11 17:02:02 PDT 2016

Ok, I think we may have solved it!

Figuring something must be loose because bumps would trigger the problem, we started tugging on wires and connectors with the motor running. By tugging on where the MPS wiring meets the power wires for the ECU, we were able to get the motor to miss repeatedly at idle. It took a while to figure out if it was the MPS itself, the MPS wiring, or the power wires. At one point, in moving wires, the motor cut out entirely. After more careful jiggling and isolating all the wires from each other, we isolated the problem to the ECU power wires. If they were jiggled just so, the motor would miss. On two occasions, I was able to get the motor to cut out entirely.

It’s funny, but I think I just mentioned a day or two ago that when we got our new harness back in January of 2013 we had to build a mini-harness to connect the main wiring harness to the FI harness. This is a picture from 3.5 years ago of what we have so there’s no longer a worm clamp on the MPS hose (which has been renewed several times) and the exposed metal on the connectors has long since been covered with electrical tape

http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1503546.jpg <http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1503546.jpg>

The interesting thing was that when I touched the electrical taped ends of the black and white power wires together, the motor stalled. This may have been our issue going back to last year!! Based on engine vibration and whatnot, those wires could have been coming in and out of contact with each other for a long time. Brief contact could be the miss and sustained contact could be the motor cut out.

For the short term, we routed the wires well apart from each other so they can’t come into contact. However, we still have our original T2 connector. I was thinking that unless there’s an issue with doing so, we’d snip the male connectors off of our FI harness, use some butt connectors to install a little bit more wire, fit some female connectors, and run them through the T2 connector so they fit to the long male ends of our main harness. Does this sound like a valid fix?