[T3] I want to change my brake fluid it's been a while? 73 SB

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Fri May 13 14:03:58 PDT 2016

If you want to get as much old fluid as possible out of the system,
you're committed to letting a lot of air in. There's no way around
that.

Once you've got as much old fluid out as possible, you can just
gravity bleed, which works great. Just don't get in a hurry. It's a
good way to do this when you're working alone. It gives you plenty of
time to make sure the reservoir stays full.

I would pump as much out of the regular bleeders as you can, until
you suck air into the MC. Then open the bottom bleeders and let the
calipers drain. Let them drain while you do something else for a half
hour.

Then close the bottom bleeders and fill the reservoir. Close the
bleeders on the LF, LR, and RR. Watch the RF until fluid starts
coming out, then close that valve.

Open the LF and watch it. Check the reservoir.

Repeat for the rears.

Check for good pedal. If it's still soft, pump a few times, to drive
bubbles to the top of the wheels, and let more fluid/air out at each
wheel.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org