[T3] Speedometer Nonsense

Daniel Nohejl d.nohejl at gmail.com
Fri May 20 14:17:04 PDT 2016

I posted about this issue a few weeks ago but it was buried in another post about the bucking and misfiring issues we’ve been intermittently having and it fell through the cracks.

So here goes:

We’re on our 4th or 5th speedometer cable in 2 years. In general, we’ll install a cable and everything will perform smoothly for several days, weeks, or even a month or so. Then, the needle will start bouncing a bit and then a bit more and then a bit more until it gets really aggravating. At that point, we attempt to re-position the cable but never to any avail so we change cables. I’ve also broken a cable by trying to adjust it while driving and another one seems to have unraveled for some reason. The one currently installed has been in there for maybe 6 weeks. As usual, it was rock solid for 2 or 3 weeks and then it started bouncing between 25 and 30. Then between 0 and 10. Now it bounces between 25 and 35 and from 0-15. The bouncing is also a lot more animated than when it first emerged.

I can’t imagine that the cable has moved: we’ve done nothing under the dash recently; nor have we messed with anything in the driver’s side wheel well. This has me thinking that perhaps something is wrong with our speedo itself though what?

A little over a year ago, we pulled the speedo out and took it apart to lubricate it as it was screeching an howling. While lubrication fixed the noise, the bouncing needle was still there.

Does my speedometer just hate cables or is there something I can do here?