[T3] Speedometer Nonsense

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Sat May 21 16:14:48 PDT 2016

On 21 May 2016 at 15:24, Phil Hof wrote:

> I have found that noises and sticking in the Type 3 speedo can be
> affected by axial play in the bushing/bearing where the cable
> attaches.  Tugging or pushing the cable in changes the behavior, and I
> suspect there is not supposed to be that kind of play.  I also suspect
> this is one of the subtle issues that Jim knows to look for and fix.

When installing the cable, it's critical that it be properly
installed/adjusted. It's adjusted at the wheel end and this is no
more complicated than making sure that it's in the middle of its free
play when both ends are fully installed.

There are other problem areas inside the actual speedometer, although
other than the odometer part, they are generally pretty trouble free.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org