[T3] Fan rubbing

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Mon May 9 06:39:51 PDT 2016

On 9 May 2016 at 11:42, ken2k wrote:

>   I replaced the pistons and when I put the fan back on it is rubbing
> against   the front half of the housing, not all the time but once or
> twice per revolution.  is there a trick to putting the housing back
> on? thx kk

There are a several tricks.

If you pried the fan out at the edges to get it off the crank, rather
than using a puller on the hub, you probably bent it, and that's why
it's rubbing now. In that case you can try to straighten it, but
you're probably looking for a fan in better condition.

Make sure the mating surfaces on the front of the fan housing and the
rear of the case and breather stand are clean before you assemble
them.

Make sure the oil pump studs, nuts, or cover are not touching the fan
housing. None of those parts should be touching the fan housing. If
they are, they are probably jacking the bottom edge of the fan
housing out and forcing it against the fan.

VW also made a pilot sleeve to center the hole in the housing with
the hole in the case. This usually isn't too important, but if you're
too far off center, it could be rubbing there.

The most important is to make sure that the 2 screws, the ones to
either side of the crank, that attach the front fan housing to the
case, are secure. The tapped holes in the case are almost always
corroded by now, so those screws don't hold well. If those screws
come loose, the will rub against the fan and ruin it. The good news
is that this makes a LOT of noise; the bad news is that you have to
stop RIGHT AWAY and fix it.

I install locking HeliCoils in those holes and use longer bolts to
avoid those problems. Some people fill the space above the heads of
those screws with caulk so they can't back out and hit the fan.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org