[T3] Missing at speed (was NAPA fuel filter FIL 3001)

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Nov 25 07:48:52 PST 2016

On 25 Nov 2016 at 7:29, Christopher Slaymaker wrote:

> I unplugged the intake pressure (vacuum) sensor and plugged it back
> in.  BOOM!  Smooth acceleration, more power, no missing.  Will Deoxit
> work on the connectors to keep corrosion at bay?

In the end Daniel's problem turned out to be that same connector.
It's not that the contacts were corroded; they had just gotten loose.
In his case, I assumed the cause was the fact that he had removed &
replaced his pressure sensor MANY times, so this caused the
loosening.

There is the claim out there that these connectors are good for only
so may uses. I was skeptical of this, but Daniel's car made a
believer out of me. If your pressure sensor has also been thru a lot
of connect/disconnect cycles, you may need to take the connector
apart and carefully squeeze each female pin slightly. This is
difficult, expecially in that confined space, but it works.

I wouldn't bother with Deoxit. Corrosion usually isn't really a
problem with this kind of connector. (In spite of many posts to the
contrary.) Yes, the pins can get nasty looking, but the place where
conduction is occurring are hidden from sight and from corrosion. In
the industry, this is known as a "gas tight" connection. That's where
the rolled edge of the female pin bears down on the flat male pin.

Deoxit removes corrosion but doesn't revent future corrosion. For
that you need the follow-up product, which I don't remember the name
of. Probably any rust inhibitor will work; my go-to inhibitor is
LPS-3. LPS-1 is common, LPS-2 is less so, but LPS-3 is hard to find.
Only LPS-3 is good for this purpose.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org