[T3] securing the speedometer?

Jim Adney jadney at VWType3.org
Fri Oct 7 20:14:58 PDT 2016

On 8 Oct 2016 at 2:35, Max Welton wrote:

> Ok, this is my 67s speedometer.  I can't figure out what secures it to
> the metal of the dazh. Those tabs are wat too short and I don't see
> how the springy wire works.

> http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1562851.jpg

I think that's your gas gauge. The date stamp visible in your photo
says 3.71, which means that this is a gauge from a '71, which has
shorter springs. The earlier springs would be about 1/4" longer.

The springy wire is there to provide some compliance when you push
the speedo into position. It makes for some "give" in the location,
although it doesn't do anything with the shorter spring tabs.

All three instruments in a given year should be the same length. It's
possible that only your gas gauge has been changed, possibly to
provide a gauge that has icons on the idiot lights. Up thru '68 there
were no icons; you were expected to know what each light meant.

A '69 or '70 gas gauge would give you icons and correct spring tabs.
An earlier gauge would have no icons, but would be "correct" for your
'67. I can probably come up with either option if you're interested.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org