[T3] Mufflers and Heat Exchangers

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Oct 9 22:51:56 PDT 2016

On 10 Oct 2016 at 4:18, J. Jonik wrote:

> Re/ previous postings about removing and re installing those 46 mm nuts from muffler to rear heat exchangers:
> What if one managed to get the big nuts from new muffler screwed well into the old rear heat exchangers, and re-installed the muffler and all, but didn't think to put in the copper seal rings?
> Would one be advised to do the horror job of taking it all apart just to install those rings?  Sad thing is, I had new copper rings right there in my collection of stuff...but, after a Long Time between muffler jobs, didn't know what they were.

The first time I did this job I didn't know about those sealing
rings. The result was a noisy exhaust and eventual eroding of the HE
sealing surface. I wish I hadn't left it that way.

> What if remnants of the old copper seal rings were still in the heat
> exchangers?   I didn't scrape anything like that out, or see anything
> fall out.    Would that suffice to prevent whatever leakage?  Engine
> running...no hand-feel of any leakage at that juncture.   Would
> exhaust leakage be felt if there wasn't proper sealing?

If it seals, it's good. It's possible that the old seal is doing the
job, especially if you really can't hear or feel any leak. Just be
sure. You don't want to damage the HE.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org