[T3] type3-vwtype3.org Digest, Vol 72, Issue 19

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Oct 20 07:10:33 PDT 2016

On 20 Oct 2016 at 6:28, Maximilian Bukszpan wrote:

> Oil burns in and you never get the spark plug out again, safe.
>
> Old mechanics from VW here in Germany always told me that and they
> said, the only good thing to do in that case is to use first a little
> Silicon Spray and then Graphit Powder on the threats!!!

Lots of people get away with using oil on the threads. It's better to
use oil than to put them in dry.

I'm not sure what's going on chemically, but one thing you never do
on an aluminum aircraft is to draw on it with pencil, as the graphite
is claimed to react with the aluminum. OTOH, graphite paste has been
used on SP threads historically, but this may be a leftover habit
from the old cast iron days. Be aware, however, that this has a down
side because if a bit of graphite gets on the SP insulator, it can
short out the plug.

My personal favorite treatment for SP threads is moly-disulfide
paste. It is non-reactive with alum, non-conductive, and works well
to VERY high temps. I have small tubes of it if anyone is interested.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org